Thursday, August 10, 2006

Vogue Knitting

Have you read the latest issue of Vogue Knitting? I'm not even half way done reading it yet - but I am totally loving it. The articles are great. I admit I haven't read all that many issues of Vogue Knitting - I was a little initimdated by the patterns at first.

I am especially happy to read about Tracey Ullman's new book on knitting that is coming out. Knit 2 Together. It is co-written by Mel Clark - a knitting designer and yarn shop owner. I have always loved Tracey Ullman - my love of her may have started when I found out we have the same birthday :)

There was also an amazing article on the history of sock knitting. How it started back in the 15th century and the royals had silk stockings and they outlawed the invention of a machine to knit socks - and all the different styles of heels, toes and knits.

I am totally loving it!

I am almost finished with my mitred square purse - I hope to finish it tonight and then I will post some pics.

5 comments:

Shelby said...

Wow, you're speedy! I'm about half done with it...hopefully will work on it some tonight. I unfortunately got the itch to cast on a skein of Socks That Rock for the RPM socks from knitty, and i'm trying it with magic loop. I'm so loving it!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read VK yet, but I've heard good things about the gray sweaters.

Good luck finishing your purse!

Anonymous said...

What took you so long?!? I finished reading it last week when I got it and have since ear-marked MANY, MANY pages. Among them Meg Swansen's sock on p80 (or most ANY of them!!!),& sweater #16 on p87.
btw-did everyone see the freebee on p67 and the drawing on p14?

Nic said...

OK so I am going to dish dirt in the comments section on Mel and her store. I used to live 5 min from it and beautiful yarn but always way more expensive than everywhere else, though, she did have an awesome sale area in the back behind a curtain. Which was good, because she is the grumpiest shopkeep around. One time she smiled at me. I couldnt tell if she had just started meds or changed her dosage or what. But she does have some high end posh stuff... like you can make $75 angora fingerless gloves. And Tracey Ullman really does shop there, so that's authentic... and I am sure she is really nice to her.

Jody said...

Interesting info about Mel and her store... I had never heard of her - but I have always liked Tracey. I wonder if Mel was only nice to her because she was a tv star!

Thanks for the scoop!