Monday, September 11, 2006

9-11

I woke up today at 6:00am, made it out the door by 7:00am, arrived at the airport by 7:20am, checked in, got through security and sat sipping coffee by 8:00am, boarded the plane and at precisely 8:46 am I was speeding down the runway about to takeoff. 8:46 was the time the first plane hit Tower 1 in New York. I was taking off in an airplane at the exact same time that people were dying 5 years ago.

This morning's flight was much more emotional than I thought it would be. Much of it was spent praying - praying that we had a safe flight - praying that no other terrorist activity happened today - praying that everyone I love was safe. I landed safely and got to my hotel and looked at the news and read the coverage on washingtonpost.com about the day. I have tears in my eyes as I look at the pictures of the day. People running, screaming, crying, dying. Death and destruction everywhere.

It really makes you realize how lucky you are to be safe - to be able to travel on September 11th and know you will be ok - tTo have someone at home that you love worrying about you.

I know I shouldn't have worried this morning. I know that when it's my time - it will be my time - no matter where I am. In an airplane or in my living room. It won't matter. I just need to remember to appreciate the time I do have. To appreciate everyone that I love and everyone that loves me.

Happy September 11th - may this day remind you of all you have and all those you love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jody,

I'm glad you arrived safely, and thanks for the reminder to appreciate our loved ones. I know yesterday must have been a hard day for many people who lost someone dear to them.