Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Holiday Knitting time has come!

I started my holiday knitting this week! I hope to get all of my holiday gift knitting done by Christmas. (Here's to hoping!!)


What are you attempting to make for your friends and family this holiday season? Show me see your list so I don't feel so overwhelmed and alone! Here's mine:

1. Hubby - Socks out of Trekking XXL (Started - one sock almost done)
2. Dad - Socks out of Rowan Tweed DK weight (Started - only about 1 inch done)
3. Mom - Branching out scarf out of Cascade 220 (Started - about 6 inches done)
4. Mother in law - Felted Buttonhole bag out of a skein of "dyer's choice" yarn I picked up at Stiches from Interlacements booth - Done!
5. Sister in Law - Felted Buttonhold bag out of Cascade 220 - (Started - halfway done)
6. Father in law - ? no idea - need some help here...
7. Friend - Hedgehog toy for my friend with 5 hedgehogs (yeah - 5 - she started with one that then had babies!)
8. Brother in law? - again no idea
9. Cousin Kelly - some kind of purse - not started yet

Nine things to knit and only a month and 11 days to do it! Christmas is coming!!!!

Let's vow to only knit holiday gifts for the rest of the year (and it would be a bonus if we actually finish them all!)

No matter your religious affiliation - I think we can all relate to the rush and pressure of holiday knitting. So - let's take some of that pressure off by starting now.

Join me as a Holiday Knitter! Post this button to your blogs and encourage others to get started on their holiday knitting too!





If you have a better button idea than mine - by all means send it to me! You can email me at javajem at yahoo dot com.



Here is the only finished item I have so far.... My mother in law's felted buttonhole bag. She loves Green and Blue - so I hope she likes it.





I actually used two different greens for the middle part and then just one green for the handles. I thought it gave it a nice variation.




I really love how this yarn felted. You can still see the pattern in the colors...





When I felted the bag for my MIL - I also threw in the mitered square bag I finished ages ago. Made from two colors of href="http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/merino.htm">Malabrigo. I could maybe give this to someone for Christmas. I just need to add handles...




I also finished a Lace Bookmark made from Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud in Iris. This was my first ever "blocked" project. I don't think I did a very good job. Although it is nice and flat - I need to redo it so it's not so uneven around the edges. Another possible Christmas gift.








As if knitting doesn't take up enough of my time - I also made some cards with Giantsknitter. She took me to her monthly stamping group and we made these cute gift tags and card tote. These will be reserved for the recipients of my hand knit items!












And finally - To help get you in the Christmas mood - I'll close with a picture of my Christmas cactus. It's actually blooming this year!! yeah!! (By the way - look out the window - do you see all the leaves out there!! - yikes!!)






8 comments:

Little Fire said...

thank you so much for the reminder!! I am a naughty naughty student and as such have a tendency to get wrapped up in my stuff. I have been intouch with my peeps and am getting the parcel together asap :)

beautiful photos and knitty presents too. its nice to hear about someone else making a dash for the holidays deadline. I just hope I can get it done and pass my finals.

happy knitting,
px

Sean Carter said...

Wow!! You've made some gorgeous stuff...the purses are looking pretty...!! For some more ideas you can jus peep into my Holiday Blog......

Nic said...

I can only see one hand knit thing at a time. Currently I am cursing myself that I promised my SIL a handknit scarf. Instead of a button you should posting places that sell great knits that I can pass off as my own!

Jena said...

Nothing! I'm knitting NOTHING for the holidays. I have so many WsIP right now that I can't add any more to my plate... an afghan square for a friend, an afghan square for a charity auction, a wedding shawl for a friend (nevermind that I'm getting married 6 months after her... who will knit for me? :) ), socks for the fiancee, a neckwarmer for the fiance...

If I get either of Dave's items done before Christmas, they'll be Christmas presents. Otherwise, that's all the holiday knitting I'll do. :)

(Although, I might crochet some dollies for my cousins - I have a few little girl cousins who are age 2 or younger and that would be a quick gift...)

Tandi said...

Wow, those bags look great and the lace work is gorgeous! Looks like you've really been busy.

Sara Kirby said...

Many, many, many a holiday/birthday I have knitted/crocheted a gift for a friend and while it is always met with enthusiasm and a promise that they will at some point use it, I usually find it months later shoved to the back of a closet with the card I gave them stuffed inside. So, this year, especially because I am still fine tuning my knitting skills/speed, I am only making one or two gifts this year.

I love the gift packaging you made. Was it hard or time consuming?

Sara Kirby said...

Many, many, many a holiday/birthday I have knitted/crocheted a gift for a friend and while it is always met with enthusiasm and a promise that they will at some point use it, I usually find it months later shoved to the back of a closet with the card I gave them stuffed inside. So, this year, especially because I am still fine tuning my knitting skills/speed, I am only making one or two gifts this year.

I love the gift packaging you made. Was it hard or time consuming?

Diane said...

I vow to start earlier every year and every year I don't.

Everything looks wonderful. Keep it up.